Sunday, March 7, 2010

Support




Here I am sloggin away on my first academic paper in months ( ok its been 3 years) and finding it difficult to get into the swing of things. Review this read that, take notes. I am to incorporate from the assigned course readings to show that I have considered the ideas presented. 1200 words is a bit more of a challenge than I care to admit. Not the generating 1200 words, thats easy, but limiting to 1200 words. Also the bit with incorporating the reading. I've had to go thru and reread. Im including bits and pieces, but with all papers I wonder: am I producing what the professor has requested?

So I am happily drafting away when I realize that in the pedagogical review section of the paper I can lean heavily of the Reeves and Harmon paper. After all is all about weighing and measuring pedagogical "dimensions" of IMM. Then after a cite or two I remember: the Reeves and Harmon paper is not one of the readings for this course. Oye! I'm still using it, it still is a valuable source, and it is a reading from the program.

So far in this program I have had more cross-over information than I can remember ever having done before. Its so nice to see the program support itself information wise. What is also nice is this is not a program where I will encounter this information at some distant point in my future, but this is applicable now. I am teaching in an asynchronous environment. I am teaching via mobile communications. I am so doing what I can to ensure this is how I continue teaching professionally.

2 comments:

  1. Laura,

    I had some difficulty keeping my word count low as well. You are lucky you had a lot of back ground information on Pedagogical view. I actually had to go back and review Pedagogical view. At first, I was kind of lost when I read that section.

    Wow! That is good you have had information from other courses cross over. I feel that makes one more comfortable with concepts because one has applied them to many courses. I agree, I am using this information we have learned in this course in my real life. For instance, I am a teachers’ assistant and they are just starting to use Second Life.

    So your teaching in an asynchronous course now. How great!! Good luck with your course. I know that you prefer asynchronous courses from your post on Avatars. Well I am glad you find your place in education.

    Britt5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had serious editing issues! The paper I wanted to submit was closer to 2000 words! In the end I submitted over 1300. My resources were almost 200 words, and the instructions did say "including" resources.

    Its weird that the courses are crossing over. The course work ing my M.Ed. was so segmented. Yes we did do some "application" of Dewey this and Piaget that, but nothing like this. I almost wish I was one of those students who reads everything first then starts the semester course work (like Hermione from the Harry Potter books). I just found another cross over that would have helped to clarify the assignment in the other class.

    I really like teaching asynchronous. There have been some student interactions, that I could have done with out, that just don't happen on line!

    ReplyDelete