Thursday, February 18, 2010

The geek in me



Second Life
as an educational tool? Really?

Im not exactly sure how I feel about that. I mean The benefits are really geeky cool, but the other implications...They can weigh pretty heavy in the scales.

I didn't look up any studies, and really dont feel like doing the research at the moment, but what are the health risks in long term video world immersion? Are people even looking into this? Glasses are only the tip of the iceberg, and "gamer's butt" or "standard internet body" usually come with a host of other physical health issues. And what about epileptics? Does long term computer usage effect them? I seem to recall hearing something about that when I was a kid regarding epilepsy and video arcade games.

I have other reactionary emotions regarding RPGs, the least of which involve I do not think the same as the programers, and therefore perform horribly at these games.

But thats the cranky me, the geek in me really wants to dive in. Granted I was very upset with my personal Diablo gaming results, but maybe taking this virtual world out of a game, and using it for something else, maybe thats what will lure me in.

I am beyond intrigued with visiting ancient Greece, or Rome or Egypt or Mesopotamia. And I wish there were Renaissance Fairs that were more themed to those cultures. Also at this point in my life, and the world political crap, what are the odd of me getting my wanna-be art historian self over to Bagdad? Will Americans ever be able to safely travel to Persepolis again? I have a student who was stationed in Iraq. He has discovered my weakness and keeps telling me about the art, and the structures. He got to see things I will only ever see in photos.

If Second Life can "take me there" maybe I really want to go with Second Life. Fact is I can really see how this can be used as it directly relates to me. I don't have to project and think, well yes I can see positive implications of using this as a hands-on learning tool for dealing with toxic waste. Thats just intellectual talk. I can really see how this would work in an Art History environment. Yes looking at art in a museum is great. But looking at art where it was made, how it was made, when it was made; looking at art where and when it was for, now thats a learning tool.

Mediaeval Christian art is interesting to learn about (for some) but what if a student could walk into a scriptorium and see what was involved in creating illuminated manuscripts, what conditions the monks were working in? How much more information would be retained? Looking at Gothic cathedrals, sure they are interesting buildings, but how is a student supposed to really understand about the importance of the height of the ceilings, and the stained glass windows, and the sounds of the choir, when they are mostly exposed to lecture and book. But, now, put those students into Chatre, into Saint Chapelle, they will experience it on a whole different level, and their testing over the subject would show improved scores.

2 comments:

  1. After reading my first two comments, I know you are aware that I am new to the concept of Distance Education. I truly have only experienced Blackboard in undergrad. So I am sure you are not surprise to hear that I have never experience Second Life until this course.
    Wow… really you feel that it is not a good educational tool. I loved it. I feel that second life technology for distance education courses is a step up on the scale. It was fun and interactive compared to a regularly conferences. I was attractive to fake interaction that it creates. It gave one a feeling of collaboration with other Avatars in Second Life. The Avatars gave the learning process a colorful experience. I feel I would pay more attention to Second Life learning experience compared to a virtual classroom which is a feature of Blackboard.
    Well, I do remember watching the show true life on MTV, which was about people being addicted to their internet life. It showed a person expressing how they would rather be online living their Avatar’s life than their real life. They explained that they felt more comfortable in their Avatars’ skin than their own. This person liked the way people responded and interacted with her online Avatar better than her real world interaction with real people. I personal think that this is terrible: however, I loved to be around people and socialize. So maybe I am bias.
    I have experienced second life in the You Tube video; however, I never got to try a game out. So, I am unaware of how I would feel about the games.
    On other hand, I feel that the most fascinate feature of Second Life was that one could be sitting on your computer at home, and one could experience places all around the world. After reading your blog, I felt this was one reason you liked Second life. A Second Life person could also experience events that took place in the past. That is really a great way to learn about history by walking through an experience of Second Life. I agree that there maybe places we may not be able to physical travel to due to cost or war. So, the Second Life technology can come into play. I agree that Second Life would help a professor teach a course in art because it would show where, when, and how art was created.

    Britt5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im totally on the side lines for Second Life. And since that is the case I discount my own opinion on it. I cannot from an educated opinion until I have experienced it.
    Its sort of like sushi. Sashimi specifically. Its not really fair to say you don't like raw fish until you have tried it. You can say you dont like the idea of it. And only if you are allergic can you say ew without trying it. Ive tried it. I know what wasabi is for now. I can make an educated decision on sushi and raw fish. BTW ew.

    ReplyDelete