Sunday, February 14, 2010

Reflections on the reading I did last night.


To be honest most of the reading I did last night started to blur together while I was actually reading. Because I had a goal: searching for pros and cons of asynchronous and synchronous delivery I tended to stay focused on that, and only that. I did take notes as I read, partially to keep the readings straight, but also so that I could accurately reference my comments.

Because of my focused reading, my notes also have focus. Only two documents stood out from the rest. Mostly because these two documents were not directly involved in the asynchronous/synchronous discussion. They did not provide redundant information-redundant to prior knowledge, redundant to the other readings.

What these two had in common for me was to remind me I am only aware of the tip of the proverbial distance education iceberg. The history of technology used and the applied use in other countries (not US) is new to me. I think I don't have such a large understanding because my exposure is limited to the program I teach for, and because when I searched for online learning opportunities for myself there were very few. I am still looking for a distance program for art history that meets my personal needs. However, because of what I have learned through the various readings, I am able to start expanding my search to specific named schools, and to programs that are based outside of the US.


Technologies of Online Learning, McGreal & Elliott

This paper lists technologies past and developing, providing a definition and description, and what its benefits to education are. Links for further information provided.

At first I thought I should skip this paper. But decided to continue to read "just in case" it had that one key comment to support my class discussion.In the end it did not.
It did expand my understanding of distance education, job well done.
I particularly liked the paragraph or two that followed each section that explained the educational benefits of each specific technology.

This really was helpful, especially in the section describing video games. I am aware of educational games "edutainment." I never considered role playing games along the design lines of World of Warcraft to useful in distance education. RPG always seems more like escapism or time black holes. I am not against role playing games, I just think that the online games that put a computer system between you and the person you are interacting with are limiting human social skills. And yes I am aware as someone who is all for distance education, this seems a bit hypocritical. I am currently justifying to myself this way: attaining education is beneficial, playing video games limits social skills. Maybe I just cannot get past personal experience with role playing games, computer role playing games, and watching too much of The Guild.


Education for a Digital World ADVICE, GUIDELINES, AND EFFECTIVE PRACTICE FROM AROUND THE GLOBE, Senior Editor Sandy Hirtz

This collection of papers reminded me that the world is using advanced technologies as well. Sometimes its too easy to fall into the narrow field of vision that happens in the day-to-day of life. It reminded me that in the US we tend to have a very narrow focus even if we claim to be global.
I was particularly interested in the information by Kumar in Virtual Design Studios: Solving learning Problems in Developing Countries. As a designer I was interested in the studio solutions. How to have studio time and space when having a physical studio wasn't practical or cost effective. "The fact that e-learning can deliver more training to more people at more places in less time and at less cost with less supervision makes it worthwhile to explore the possibility of e-designing."

1 comment:

  1. I remember this conference assignment. However, I recall having to read or I mainly forced on Chapter 2 from Effective Teaching with Technology in Higher Education. I remember reading through the whole chapter, and I was a little overwhelmed with the two technologies. So then I had to go back and skim my highlighted areas to create my pro and con list for the two technologies: asynchronous and synchronous. I really enjoy the chart on page 55 to help break down the differences between the two technologies.

    I agree other country’s history of Distance Education is new to me as well. In addition, this is my first online course. So taking a course online about Distance education is all a big gulp of new information. Not to mention there is a learning curve in taking an online course.

    Personal Advantages- I enjoy not having to travel, no cost of gas, all I need is the internet, flexibility, etc.

    Personal Disadvantages- Lack of Face to face interaction, learning curve, writing intensive, etc.
    Similar to your thought, prior to taking this course I had no previous knowledge about distance education or online courses. I think I do not have an understanding of this program because I study dental hygiene.
    However, this is an interesting fact: ODU was an early supporter and user of distance education, and I went to this University. Can you believe I was still unaware of this fact until I read chapter 2 from Distance Education a Systems View.


    Response to Technologies of Online Learning, McGreal & Elliott
    I was unaware of this as well. I had never experienced “edutainment”. However, my neighbors had Sims Life which to me is similar to second life. For instance, their game was people living their everyday life in a video game. Now that I think back, this game could be put to educational or experimental learning.
    On the other hand, I agree with your comment that online video games used for role playing still takes away from Face to Face interaction. I know you stated you were pro distance education courses. However, I feel there should be some kind of hybrid assignment in all distance education course because this aids in developing a student social skills with communication and working with others. I probably feel this way because I am so used to the traditional class.

    Britt5

    ReplyDelete